The City of Miramar Fire-Rescue Department was established as a volunteer service in 1955 with volunteers notified by the sounding of a civil defense siren located on top of City Hall.
By 1956 the Department had grown to be 30 members, including a women's auxiliary, and Miramars' first fire engine was delivered in October of 1957.
That first engine, the 1957 Howe, could pump 500 gallons of water per minute. In 1961, Miramar began constructing their new fire station. That first fire station is now known as the City of Miramar Senior Center.